Thursday, November 18, 2010

Mister Pip

I recently finished Mister Pip by Lloyd Jones. It's set during a tumultuous time in Bougainville and centres on the reading of Great Expectations to a group of children - hence Mister Pip. It is intriguing and slightly whimsical until the heartbreak that has been stealthily building takes over.

One thing I loved about it was this vignette about the experience of reading:

"You cannot pretend to read a book. Your eyes will give you away. So will your breathing. A person entranced by a book simply forgets to breathe. The house can catch fire and reader deep in a book will not look up until the wallpaper is in flames."

So true. I wish I had written that.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Oh, I loved Mister Pip too. We chose it for the book club and then chose Great Expectations to go with it. There are some really fabulous observations on the power of reading in Alain de Botton's How Proust Can Change Your Life - I had to stop reading and write lots of them down!