Sunday, January 30, 2011

Instant gratification - spaghetti

I could eat pasta every night. But I don't because my children would revolt. Most of the pastas I make are improvised although I have a couple of favourites that I make regularly. Mr Neat was particularly complimentary about this one so I thought I'd share. The measurements are approximates so you might have to adjust to get the taste to your liking.

Mr Neat's Favourite Spaghetti

2 spanish onions

4 cloves garlic
4-6 japanese eggplants (the small skinny ones)
4 trimmed bacon rashers


about 600g lamb mince
about 400g / ml tomato passata (I just pour in a bit over half the bottle)
large tablespoon fruit chutney
teaspoon brown sugar

I always use my big le creuset pot to make this but you can use whatever you like!

Heat small amount of olive oil in your cooking pot. Add finely diced onions. Cook slowly so they don't catch. I do a mixture of sweating and sauteing (Amy! Help!) Add finely chopped bacon and eggplants. When eggplant is starting to soften add the garlic. Cook until onion is soft and translucent. Be careful not to brown or burn the garlic. Add mince and cook through until well browned. Add passata and fruit chutney. Allow to simmer for a while until reduced. Add brown sugar and salt and pepper to taste.

Serve with al dente spaghetti and top with shaved parmesan or romano cheese.

And remember this will actually taste better the next day so you can make it the night before, bung it in the fridge and reheat it for dinner the next night. It also freezes. Oh and I use this sometimes as a base for Shepherd's Pie or as a filling for lasagne.

5 comments:

Amy said...

I am absolutely going to make this! My children would eat pasta every night but it is one of those foods that turns off the part of my brain that tells me when I have had enough. I think you describe the cooking of the onions perfectly well. Now you just need to spell passata with one t. (No one likes the spelling police but I can't help myself, it's an illness.)

sarah barnett said...

Au contraire my friend! I love the spelling police. I'm married to one of its most vigilant members! I didn't think *passatta* looked right. Thanks for the correction!

Amy said...

And rashes needs an r unless you mean spotty bacon ;) I am reading it again to write down the ingredients. We will be eating this very soon!

M-O-M-A-B-C said...

Rating spaghetti recipes! Check this one out too...fast, easy, and soooo delicious. My family's absolute favorite, and mine too because its so simple! http://www.squidoo.com/spaghetti-recipe

sarah barnett said...

Oh Amy, I did have a shocker!