Tuesday, July 19, 2011

the quest for clean surfaces....

Mr Neat, the kids and I had a rather different holiday this time around. Mainly because Mr Neat is being Mr Boss at work and couldn't be on holidays. But we still went away. To Manly.

One of Mr Neat's former colleagues and his family went off to Japan for two weeks so we minded their gorgeous home a few minutes walk from the beach. Lovely. 

Anyway the brave couple who lent us their house have two daughters and their house is so.... so neat. It's a cute old brick house that has been well restored (listen to me the real estate maven) but what amazed me was how easy it was to neaten everything. There were built in cupboards galore and everything had a home. So now I'm thinking, 'Is that actually possible in a home where I am a resident?' One of our problems, apart from me and my tendency to collect and create clutter, is an appalling lack of storage. We have an eclectic (read cheap a***) approach to furnishing our home. Op shops, garage sales, cast offs and side of the road numbers... I think the only new thing we've ever bought from a real shop was our bed. And that was 16 years ago. 

So how to achieve this nirvana-like state of tidiness? Mr Neat has a straightforward approach. There is stuff in the way, therefore there is too much stuff, therefore we should chuck out the stuff that is in the way. At which point I get sweaty palms and I wish I weren't so sentimental and hoardy. No we don't have too much stuff, I argue, we just have too few places to put what we have...

But after dusting the sand off my head I realised that he could be onto something. Of course, for me, the first place to start is: The Study. That's a misnomer if ever there was one. It should be called the dump. Cos that's where I dump stuff when I don't know where to put it. In fact The Dump has become so cluttered recently that I can't actually do any work in there at all. I have to take a deep breath, grab what I need and scurry away to work *somewhere else*. So I'm going to go through the stuff in there and be ruthless. 

Wish me luck!

x Sarah

PS Sorry for a really boring and really long post without any pictures.

1 comment:

Leanne said...

Hope you had some success in cleaning those surfaces.(And under them and around them...)
xx