Wednesday, July 27, 2011

the reading dilemma

I think reading must be one of my favourite things in the world to do. Perhaps I should qualify that statement. I thinking reading quality literature is one of my favourite things in the world to do. And yet when I finished a wonderful book and I want to dive right into another, I can't. It's like I need to have a little break and read something trashy or just ponder what I have read before I jump into the next work.

I've just finished reading Geraldine Brooks' novel, Caleb's Crossing. It's another absorbing, evocative work (she really is AMAZING) that completely transports the reader into a different time and place. Seventeenth Century Puritan America. But after I consumed the book and spent many days thinking on her characters and her eloquent prose I couldn't read another thing. It felt almost disloyal to pick up another book so quickly. Has anyone else ever experienced this?

Another couple of quick literary recommendations: 
  • Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel
  • The Dark Room by Rachel Seiffert
  • Jasper Jones by Craig Silvey
  • A Fraction of the Whole by Steve Toltz

3 comments:

Amy said...

Is it me, or is there only one recommendation there? Sometimes I am very reluctant to leave a book behind. I felt that way about A Suitable Boy. When I was a teenager I read Lonesome Dove and when I finished the last page I just turned straight back to the first and started again.

sarah barnett said...

You're right. I left off the last couple!

I remember you reading Lonesome Dove - worth reading?

Amy said...

Jasper Jones is brilliant, isn't it? I haven't read Lonesome Dove as an adult. The fact that I loved it as a teenager is hardly a recommendation....